CONSTITUTION and BY-LAWS of the Dutch Shepherd Dog Club of America
ARTICLE I – Name of Club and Location
This Organization shall be known as the DUTCH SHEPHERD DOG CLUB OF AMERICA (DSDCA), a not-for-profit, non-discriminatory provisional licensed UKC dog events club. Its membership shall be made up of dedicated purebred Dutch Shepherd dog enthusiasts in St. Johns, Michigan and the surrounding United States of America, or any person duly elected to membership.
ARTICLE II – Mission Statement and Purpose
The purpose of this club shall be to promote responsibility and good sportsmanship in the breeding, training and exhibition of Dutch Shepherd dogs in the United States under the breed standard established and approved by the United Kennel Club in 1995.
A. To further the advancement of the Dutch Shepherd breed through the medium of their owners and to develop their intelligence as well as their physical abilities.
B. To confer honor upon worthy Dutch Shepherd dogs and their owners/trainers, and to aid members of the Club to attain UKC conformation and performance degrees through cooperative training and mutual support.
C. To promote fair play and good sportsmanship over individual gain, and to join the competitive spirit with the fun environment of United Kennel Club events.
To fulfill this Article, we promise:
1. To hold licensed UKC events that will be run in accordance with all the rules, policies, and procedures of the United Kennel Club. (Including Breed Standards, Weight Pull, Rally, Obedience, Lure Coursing, Terrier Racing, Agility, Dock Jumping rules and regulations.)
2. To dismiss from our membership without hesitation those who violate these by-laws and the principles of good sportsmanship and fair and honest conduct.
3. The club will not hold any other registry’s events on the same day/location as that of any UKC event without the prior approval of UKC.
ARTICLE III - Membership
We reserve the right to refuse any entry in our competitions, as well as membership in this Club to any individual, at the discretion of the Officers, Board of Directors, and members. However, no person shall be refused entry or membership on a basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, or national origin.
The method of obtaining membership in this Club shall be as follows:
1. Be sponsored by a UKC member in good standing, and supply the following information:
Address, phone number and email
Type of involvement in Dutch Shepherd breed (owner, breeder, exhibitor, etc.)
2. Application shall be in writing to the Secretary.
3. Once application and applicable dues are received by the Secretary, applicant will be notified that their membership has been accepted.
ARTICLE IV - Dues
A. The membership of the Club shall consist of Associate/Supporting Members (supporters without voting privileges), Honorary Club Members (supporters without voting privileges individually appointed by the Board of Directors) and Club Members (Individual or Family) with full voting privileges who contribute annual dues to the Dutch Shepherd Dog Club of America operating or capital fund. These contributors shall be considered members of the Club for the fiscal year in which these contributions have been made.
B. Dues - The annual membership dues shall be established by the Board of Directors as necessary, increases not to exceed ten percent (10%) per year. When the Board has not acted to change the dues by April 1st of any given year, the current dues shall remain in effect for the ensuing calendar year. The Club's membership year shall consist of June 1st through May 31st. Dues for new memberships may be prorated throughout the calendar year.
1. No member whose dues are not on a current basis may vote at any Regular, Special, or Annual Meeting.
2. No member whose dues are not on a current basis may hold office.
C. Fees - New club memberships are subject to a one-time initiation fee of $10 in addition to the annual membership fee. Club membership renewals received after June 1st will be subject to a $10 reinstatement fee.
D. Membership Revocation/Denial - The Board of Directors may deny or revoke any membership for cause when deemed necessary. Any dues refund or pro-ration of refund will be at the discretion of the Board.
E. Honorary Membership - The Board of Directors may select individuals for Honorary Club Membership. This must be by unanimous vote of the Board of Directors. Each Honorary Membership will be in effect for one (1) calendar year from June 1st through May 31st. Honorary Club Members will not be subject to membership dues or fees in that year, will hold all Associate/Supporting member rights and privileges (non-voting) and will be considered to have paid-up dues.
F. Any member who has not paid their dues by 30 days after the first day of the fiscal year (June 1st) shall be dropped from the rolls. However, if any member is in financial distress, his/her dues may be waived, reduced or financed over a matter of months by a majority vote of the Officers/Board, on a case by case basis.
Article V - Voting
A. Associate/Supporting Members and appointed Honorary Club Members are supporters of the Dutch Shepherd Dog Club of America and have no voting privileges and pay no dues.
B. Each Club Member shall have the right to vote at the Annual Meeting and may participate in the conduct and activity of the Club and its Board of Directors.
C. Each Individual Club Member shall be entitled to one (1) vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the members. Each Family Club Member shall be entitled to one (1) vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the members.
D. All Club Members who are entitled to a vote who are present at the Annual meeting when a vote is called shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE VI – Conditions of Continuing Membership
The following shall be the conditions of continuing membership:
1. The attendance of as many meetings as possible.
2. The attendance of and participation in all Club activities and shows/events to the satisfaction of the Officers/Board. However, the attendance clauses of Article IV, sections 1 and 2 shall be waived due to illness, disability, conflict with employment, excessive distance, or bona-fide previous commitments.
3. Any member known to: promote, support, raise dogs for fighting; knowingly sell, give, or trade dogs that will be used for fighting; condone or be associated with the facing off, game testing, rolling or pitting of dogs will have their membership automatically revoked. The member shall also be reported to United Kennel Club for disciplinary action as well.
The Officers/Board of Directors shall be elected at the annual meeting held in December every year. Any Officer may succeed him or herself. All elections shall be by secret ballot and decided by a simple majority.
The Board of Directors of this Club shall be three (3) in number, and elected at large by the membership, and may also include one alternate director. The alternate should attend all Board meetings, and shall have a vote if one or more directors are absent.
This article shall be used to govern the Officers/Board of Directors of the Club.
1. PRESIDENT: shall preside at all meetings and conduct good order and discipline.
2. VICE-PRESIDENT: shall assist the president in the discharge of his duties, and will preside in his/her absence.
3. SECRETARY/TREASURER: shall keep an accurate record of all meetings and events. They shall keep accurate accounting records and be responsible for the proper collection and distribution of all funds and accounts, under the direction of the Board. They shall preside in the absence of the other elected officers.
4. The checks on the account(s) of this Club will be signed by the President or Secretary/Treasurer.
5. The books and accounts of the Secretary/Treasurer shall be audited annually, prior to the election of officers, by a committee appointed by the President.
The dues of this Club shall be in the amount decided upon by the membership and shall be due and payable on or before the 31st day of May each year. Any member who has not paid their dues by 30 days after the first day of the fiscal year (June 1st) shall be dropped from the rolls. However, if any member is in financial distress, his dues may be waived by a majority vote of the Officers/Board, on a case by case basis.
The meetings of this Club shall be held on the 3rd Saturday of the month as needed at a location decided upon by the Officers/Board.
These By-Laws may be amended as deemed necessary by the Officers/Board and must be approved by a simple majority of the members present. Notice of a proposed change must be in writing, and the membership properly notified. UKC must be notified in writing.
1. Members shall conduct themselves as ladies/gentlemen at all Club functions.
2. Absolutely no alcoholic beverages, firearms, or illegal drugs will be allowed on the grounds or in the buildings while participating in any club or licensed events.
3. Written copies of these By-Laws will be emailed to every applicant accepted into full Club membership upon receipt of yearly dues.
4. These By-Laws shall become effective at the May 16, 2012 meeting.
5. To become effective, these By-Laws must be approved by a majority vote of all members present when the vote is taken.
6. All United Kennel Club policies will be strictly adhered to during all UKC events.
7. Members shall conduct themselves in an honest and sportsman like manner at all meetings and events.
8. The Officers/Board of Directors of the DUTCH SHEPHERD DOG CLUB OF AMERICA shall have the inherent rights and powers to dismiss ANY member who is continually disruptive to the detriment of the orderly conduct of our meetings and/or events.
9. The Officers and Board shall serve as the nomination committee for all offices, board vacancies, and award recipients; however, any member in good standing shall have the right to make nominations from the floor.
10. Any individual suspended by United Kennel Club shall automatically be suspended from the club as well.
Read and approved by Officers/Board:
President: Cheryl Carlson
Vice-President: Lori Webster
Secretary/Treasurer: Carole Field
Read and approved by membership: May 16, 2012
Amended: October 19, 2012